    SubjectRe: chroot(2) and bind mounts as non-root
    On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 16:55 -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > I expect by the time this makes it to "out of the box" experiences on
    > enterprise distros, useradd and friends will be giving out 1000 or so uids
    > to new accounts.

    Hmm...how would that work? Would it be something that would happen at
    PAM time, like a module that looks up some file in /etc and says "OK
    this uid gets this range" and uploads that to the kernel?

    This whole idea of a normal uid getting *other* slave uids is cool but
    scary at the same time. So much infrastructure in what I think of as
    "General Purpose Linux"[1] is built up around a uid - resource
    restrictions and authentication for example.

    I guess as long as we're sure that all cases where a "uid" crosses a
    user namespace (say socket credentials) and appears as the right thing,
    it may be secure.

    > I think the user namespace will do what you need. Certainly it appears
    > that everything in your example binary will be allowed by the time it is
    > done.

    That's cool, I will keep an eye on what you guys are doing. Looks like
    the containers list on linuxfoundation.org is the right one to follow?

    [1] The code that's shared between RHEL and Debian roughly between the
    kernel and GNOME, discarding the pointless "packaging" differences

      Last update: 2011-12-20 22:27    [W:0.021 / U:59.384 seconds]