    SubjectSystem freezes with high network activity
    Hello there,

    I' ve filled a bug against linux kernel in Debian [1] for the
    linux-kernel-image 2.6.32.

    The problem is that the system freezes ( no complete ) when high
    network activity occurrs, for example copying files over NFS or
    downloading files with Bittorrent.

    When the system is frozen, there is no network connecivity, the
    console freezes ( with top program, for ex. ) until a key from the
    laptop is pressed or when network activity drops. The network
    throughtput also drops before the freeze.

    I've also realized that clock drifts ( it's frozen too ) when the
    system is frozen.

    This problem didn't occur in Linux kernel 2.6.26 ( from the Lenny
    release ), I think >2.6.26 are affected, but I need to confirm it ( >=
    2.6.30 are included for sure ).

    After investigating for a while ( tested noapic, noacpi and several
    switches with no luck.) , I've search for a solution and I finally
    found it. I think that the bug is caused by changes in the
    clocksource between kernels and the powernow-k8 module.

    One time I tested booting the xen-patched the linux kernel and the
    problem dissapeared, the net worked at full speed but there was no cpu
    scaling.

    Now, with recent kernels, I boot the kernel with the
    clocksource=jiffies option and the powersaved daemon to do the
    frequency scaling, the net works al full speed. With acpi_pm and tsc
    options doesn't work neither.

    More information as acpidump output and dmesg are included in the [1]
    Debian bug too.

    Thanks.

      Last update: 2011-12-02 17:47    [W:0.020 / U:0.344 seconds]