    SubjectRe: Android low memory killer vs. memory pressure notifications
    On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 01:12:55PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
    > [Didn't get to the patch yet but a comment on memcg]
    >
    > On Mon 19-12-11 06:53:28, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
    > [...]
    > > - Use memory controller cgroup (CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR) notifications from
    > > the kernel side, plus userland "manager" that would kill applications.
    > >
    > > The main downside of this approach is that mem_cg needs 20 bytes per
    > > page (on a 32 bit machine). So on a 32 bit machine with 4K pages
    > > that's approx. 0.5% of RAM, or, in other words, 5MB on a 1GB machine.
    >
    > page_cgroup is 16B per page and with the current Johannes' memcg
    > naturalization work (in the mmotm tree) we are down to 8B per page (we
    > got rid of lru). Kamezawa has some patches to get rid of the flags so we
    > will be down to 4B per page on 32b. Is this still too much?
    > I would be really careful about a yet another lowmem notification
    > mechanism.

    4 bytes (1MB wastage on a 1GB machine) sounds much better. If there are no
    other downsides of using cgroups-based low memory killer, then maybe it's
    not worth doing yet another low memory notification stuff.

    > > 0.5% doesn't sound too bad, but 5MB does, quite a little bit. So,
    > > mem_cg feels like an overkill for this simple task (see the driver at
    > > the very bottom).
    >
    > Why is it an overkill? I think that having 2 groups (active and
    > inactive) and move tasks between then sounds quite elegant.

    Yep, that was the original idea. But back then mem_cg was way too costly,
    so nobody seriously considered this as a solution.

    Thanks,

    --
    Anton Vorontsov
    Email: cbouatmailru@gmail.com

      Last update: 2011-12-20 03:19    [W:0.020 / U:2.700 seconds]