SubjectAndroid mainlining project
Hello all,

I would like to announce the beginning of a project to
make a concerted effort to mainline patches and features
from Android into the mainline Linux kernel.

At the recent kernel summit in Prague, there was a discussion
about re-evaluating some of the Android-specific features
that are found in Google's android kernel, and looking at
whether and how to incorporate them into the mainline (

Various parties, including individual developers, the
CE workgroup in the Linux Foundation, and a group at Linaro
have been working on different aspects of this. A wiki
page and mailing list have been created to help coordinate
our efforts and avoid duplication and confusion.

The wiki page for this effort (still under construction) is

There's a mailing list if you wish to follow discussions
about this project. It's available at:

If you are interested in this work, please join the mailing
list or send me an e-mail. Some interesting things are already
happening. I'll send a status message to the ce-android-mainline
list in a day or two to let interested parties know what's currently
going on.

-- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment