SubjectRe: Porting m68k/nommu to a new board.
Hi Daniel,

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 06:37, Daniel Palmer<me@danielpalmer.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm building a custom machine based around a 68sec000 (Fully static 68ec000).
>> The "board" is a bunch of parts at the moment but I have written a workable
>> simulator for the machine which I am using as a testbed for testing things
>> like my custom video, DMA controller etc before creating the hardware versions
>> in VHDL.
>>
>> I'm interested in getting mmu-less m68k linux (what used to be known as
>> uclinux I guess, seems to be known as m68k/nommu now) running on the simulator
>> and later on the real hardware.

uclinux is/was mmuless support. m68knommu used to be the arch name for
m68k without mmu support. I just use Linux now, it has all been in
mainline for so long now.

>> From what I can tell the nommu m68k port is still active. But does it actually
>> work? All the details on similar hardware (like the older Palm pilots, Atari
>> machines) is pretty ancient, around 2.0. Does anyone have a machine running a
>> recent kernel? Were there issues getting it running?

I run on ColdFire parts all the time. Right up to 3.2-rc5 :-)
It works great. But I don't have or regularly use any original m68k
core hardware. I occasionally compile for the 68328 target, so it
will compile, can't be sure if it still runs though.

>> I did a bit of digging in the source and doesn't look like it should be too
>> difficult to add the specifics for my machine.. I have a 16550 style UART
>> emulated for I/O so I don't need to write a framebuffer driver at the moment.
>> I'm open to any suggestions people have on how to approach this though.

With the m68k and m68knommu arch code now merged it shouldn't
be too hard to enable/configure all the pieces you have. Might take
a little hacking to make it work, but it should be close.

Regards
Greg

Greg Ungerer -- Principal Engineer EMAIL: gerg@snapgear.com
SnapGear Group, McAfee PHONE: +61 7 3435 2888
8 Gardner Close, FAX: +61 7 3891 3630
Milton, QLD, 4064, Australia WEB: http://www.SnapGear.com

  Last update: 2011-12-16 11:59    [W:0.192 / U:0.096 seconds]