    SubjectRe: [patch 0/3] kvm tool: Serial emulation overhaul
    On 12/13/2011 04:51 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > > The whole APIC timer calibration and the back and forth
    > > > conversion is definitely nothing which falls into the category of
    > > > smart.
    > >
    > > APIC timer calibration is silly but it hasn't proven to be a real-world
    > > problem.
    > Well, that depends on the world.

    What I mean by that, is that I haven't seen any bug reports in this area
    apart from some issue with wiring the PIT/PIC/APIC correctly which were
    resolved long ago.

    > The issue with that calibration is
    > that it can be off and for a certain category of application it
    > matters. Definitely not for the usual virt workload stuff. But saving
    > cycles for highres/nohz enabled guests would be nice. Maybe I have a
    > go when I find a some time.

    Just dropping the calibration an replacing it with a pre-calibrated
    value should be simple, if there is a workload that could benefit.

      Last update: 2011-12-13 16:01    [W:0.022 / U:4.596 seconds]