SubjectRe: /dev/mem "unbounded?"
Hi Peter,

----- Original Message -----

> That would be incorrect behavior, though, except perhaps for the
> range
> that cannot be addressed by the processor. It is explicitly
> permitted
> to address ranges that does not have addresses mapped to it.

There is a current mechanism for restricting access to a subset
of addresses, and it is used to enforce < 1MB accesses on x86
if CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM. This could be extended.

Do you think there is any value in specifying something like
CONFIG_DEV_MEM_ONLY_CLAIMED, which would only allow accesses
until the end of the last range claimed with request_region (but
could, of course, well be unmapped). This will allow accesses to
any unclaimed "holes" in between. I.e., if you have 0-100m claimed,
followed by 300-700m claimed, then reading /dev/mem will work up
until you reach 700m.

> -EFAULT would also be wrong. If anything it should be -EIO.

Ok, I'll submit a patch for that.

  Last update: 2011-11-09 23:41    [W:2.580 / U:0.016 seconds]