    SubjectRe: Linux 3.2-rc1
    Am 08.11.2011 03:10, schrieb Linus Torvalds:
    > Which brings me to a question I already asked on G+ - do people really
    > need the old-fashioned patches? The -rc1 patch is about 22MB gzip-9'd,
    > and part of the reason is that all those renames cause big
    > delete/create diffs. We *could* use git rename patches, but then you'd
    > have to apply them with "git apply" rather than the legacy "patch"
    > executables. But as it is, the patch is almost a third of the size of
    > the tar-ball, which makes me wonder if there's even any point to such
    > a big patch?

    From a distro packager's point of view, I can say this:

    For packaging, we always use the latest .0 release tarball and patch it
    with the -stable patch files from kernel.org. It would be desirable if
    those would keep working with GNU patch - not necessary though because
    'git apply' doesn't require a git repository.

    When packaging development versions of the kernel, it is much easier to
    pull the lastest code directly from the git tree, so I never needed the
    patch files for the -rc's.

      Last update: 2011-11-08 20:15    [W:0.020 / U:0.840 seconds]