    SubjectRe: [F.A.Q.] perf ABI backwards and forwards compatibility
    On Tue, 8 Nov 2011, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > It's great to hear that! But in that case, there's an experiment we
    > can't really run, which is if perf had been developed in a separate
    > tree, would it have been just as successful?

    Experiment, eh?

    We have the staging tree because it's a widely acknowledged belief that
    kernel code in the tree tends to improve over time compared to code that's
    sitting out of the tree. Are you disputing that belief?

    If you don't dispute that, what makes you think the same effect
    doesn't apply to code that looks like Linux code and is developed the same
    way but runs in userspace?

    Pekka

      Last update: 2011-11-08 12:23    [W:0.022 / U:29.488 seconds]