SubjectRe: Hardware running hot and without the fan
On 11/3/11 7:46 PM, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 05:19:25PM +0200, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars Noodén wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?
>>
>> The output is bogus, the fans are not turning. On #47 there above, I
>> think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too. Since they'll go up
>> and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.
>>
>>> You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
>>> and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
>>> in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
>>> device).
>>
>> I can set the fan speed manually. e.g.:
>>
>> echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
>>
>> That helps some.
>
> I am confused.
>
> From what I gather, the fans work, and it should be possible to run
> the macfanctld daemon (not fancontrol) to tune the fans.

On the note book, one fan works with manual control only. If there is a
second fan, it cannot be turned on manually. On the mini, there are no
fan devices listed in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/

> If there really is a problem with the applesmc, following
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=924096 is a good idea.
>
> However, the root problem is most likely the GPU consuming too much
> power. Depending on the exact laptop model, there may or may not be a
> viable workaround. If you model is very new, there is most likely and
> active thread about it on the ubuntu forums.

Not that I've been able to find and an attempt at starting a new thread
has no response.

> After checking around on the forums, if you find that this is still a
> fan or temperature sensor problem, and not a GPU problem, then please
> restate the problem as exactly as you can.

I think there are two problems. One is the GPU or some other part
running hot. The other is the sensors/fans issue: the fans don't turn
on even when the system is hot. Both problems are evident on two
different models of hardware, the notebook is a MacBookPro8,2 and the
desktop is a Macmini3,1.

/Lars