SubjectRe: CIFS: Rename bug on servers not supporting inode numbers
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:42:13 +0000
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I should add that we are using iocharset=utf8 mount option which means that the dcache hash/compare functions done in the cifs module do not work because it uses nls_tolower() and nls_strnicmp() both of which for utf8 NLS in the kernel do not do anything at all and effectively behave case sensitively!
>
> Thus this bug/problem in all likelyhood only affects utf8 iocharset users on a case-insensitive but case-preserving CIFS server that does not support server inode numbers.
>
> That probably explains why it has not been noticed before!
>
> We need utf8 thus we still need to fix this issue.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton

I'm confused...

If the filesystem being served out by the server is using utf8, then
how is it handling the case-insensitivity?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@redhat.com>

  Last update: 2011-11-03 18:41    [W:0.042 / U:5.908 seconds]