SubjectRe: GMA500 support
From
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 19:29:10 +0100
> Kristoffer Ericson wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Im syncing my gma500 tree to all the patches I see pass through the kernel mailinglist and
>> its progressing well.
>> However, It would be nice with an todo list or a more practical this-works list. I know
>> its not a priority but would simplify alot for end users.
>
> If you configure it in the following should work on GMA500/600
> - internal laptop displays including backlight
> - external svga

Worth pointing out is that DDC for external displays isn't working until my
fixes for SDVO gets in there. Manually setting a mode works fine. Otherwise
you'll default to 1280x1024 (or was it 1024x768?).

> - mode setting via KMS
> - framebuffer console
> - the framebuffer X server (and once out generally Dave Airlie's generic
>  KMS X server)
> - suspend/resume

- Sync to vblank is supported on gma500

> The following I know don't work
> - Huge external displays so large they won't fit in 8MB at init time
>  (causes a crash)
> - Using the vesa X server with it - this confuses stuff and isn't
>  fixable, it's a "wrong user configuration"
>
> Unsupported
> - 2D hardware acceleration except console scrolling (as it seems to be
>  too slow to be useful). I may add some 2D bits later where they do help
>  (eg back to front blitting may be worth it just about)
> - 3D engine (no public documentation)
> - Video playback acceleration. In theory there is enough info in the
>  VAAPI code for GMA500/600 that has been published and in the old
>  'binary X/source kernel' driver to do this but someone will have to
>  work on it if they want it
> - Dell Mini HDMI port. This seems to be some kind of external bridge
>  chip. Being a TV luddite I don't yet own an HDMI capable display to
>  test.

I suspect this is just DVI with a HDMI connector. That is the case for Fit-PC2.
It is hooked up to the SDVO and provides video but no audio.