SubjectRe: pull request: wireless 2011-11-22
On 11/22/2011 03:13 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: David Miller<davem@davemloft.net>
> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:05:11 -0500 (EST)
>
>> From: "John W. Linville"<linville@tuxdriver.com>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:56:55 -0500

>>> I thought this at first as well. But looking at the code in
>>> kernel/irq/handle.c doesn't support that conclusion. In fact, every
>>> handler gets invoked no matter what they all return. All of the irq
>>> handler return values are ORed together and passed to note_interrupt.
>>> Only if every irq handler returns IRQ_NONE does the code in
>>> kernel/irq/spurious.c start getting involved.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this seems to be safe even for shared interrupts. That said,
>>> this is a bit ugly. But it makes a serious difference in performance
>>> for those afflicted with this issue.
>>
>> It just means that we won't notice spurious interrupts if the device
>> sharing the line with rt2800pci generates one.
>>
>> This change is wrong.
>
> BTW, look at it this way, if what you say is true John then what's the point
> in returning any specific value at all?
>
> Everyone can just return IRQ_HANDLED and everything would just work.
>
> But you know that's not the case, and that it's important that this value
> is returned accurately.

I was trying to find the thread that reported the improvement in performance
with this change, but failed. Is it possible that their change just papered over
an interrupt storm from some other device that shared that interrupt?

I'm following this because the rtlwifi-family of drivers already did what was
suggested here. If this is wrong, then so is it.

Larry

  Last update: 2011-11-22 22:33    [W:0.261 / U:0.760 seconds]