SubjectRe: Printk mulitple line message support
On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 08:50 +0800, Huang Ying wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 22:40 +0800, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 14:58 +0800, Huang Ying wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In most cases, printk only guarantees messages from different printk
> > > calling will not be interleaved between each other. But many printk
> > > users uses multiple line to form a complete message and call printk
> > > for each line. So the following situation is possible for two printk
> > > users running on two CPUs.
> > >
> > > line 1 of message from printk user1
> > > line 1 of message from printk user2
> > > line 2 of message from printk user1
> > > line 2 of message from printk user2
> > >
> > > This makes kernel log hard to read. One possible solution to this
> > > issue is to give a sequence number (or ID) to each complete message.
> > > So the above lines will be:
> > >
> > > {1}line 1 of message from printk user1
> > > {2}line 1 of message from printk user2
> > > {1}line 2 of message from printk user1
> > > {2}line 2 of message from printk user2
> > >
> > > Then some simple script can be used to group lines together according
> > > to sequence number in lines.
> > >
> > > What do you think about that?
> >
> > This makes the typical multi-part but non-interleaved
> > output difficult to read.
>
> With a simple script, we can strip out the sequence # easily.
>
> > How about determining if there is interleaving and
> > emitting sequence # only in those cases?
> >
> > Perhaps test the atomic for the last sequence #.
>
> So we will have no sequence # prefix for printk user1's lines if printk
> user 2 comes in the middle? Something as follow?
>
> line 1 of message from printk user1
> {2}line 1 of message from printk user2
> line 2 of message from printk user1
> {2}line 2 of message from printk user2
>
> This will make it hard for a script to sort the lines. Where should it
> insert lines from printk user2 in the sort result?

90+% it's the previous line.

I believe you are not solving any real problem
with pr_<level>_ml.

Most all interleaved complete line uses have some
pr_fmt prefix that distinguishes between the sources.

A perhaps larger problem is interleaved partial
lines with pr_cont.

I believe that an initiator/terminator is necessary
for reassembly. Something that could be used

mp_start(&cookie)
pr_<level>(fmt, ...);
pr_mp_cont(&cookie, fmt, ...);
pr_mp_cont(&cookie, fmt "\n", ...);
mp_end(&cookie);

  Last update: 2011-11-15 02:21    [W:0.086 / U:0.164 seconds]