SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] Samsung Laptop driver patches - resend
From
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM, Corentin Chary
<corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@suse.de> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 11:54:39PM +0100, Corentin Chary wrote:
>>> Just got a 90X3A from Intel and I'll try to take a look at samsung-laptop
>>> since some features are missing (keyboard backlight for example).
>>
>> Try adding your device to this driver.  Or, watch out, as newer Samsung
>> devices support backlight control "properly" through acpi, which is
>> good, and this driver is not needed by them at all.
>
> I'm speaking about *keyboard* backlight here, not screen backlight
> (which is already available using both the acpi driver and the intel
> graphic driver). There is also a setting to enable USB power while
> sleeping without having to change it in the BIOS, and it's probably
> possible to control the sound and wlan led.
>
>>> Do you have any doc on the vendor "interface" (other than just reading
>>> the code :) ) ?
>>
>> I do not have any documentation for the interface, sorry.  The code
>> should be self-explanatory.
>
> Arg... I can understand the code, I can easilly write ACPI and WMI
> drivers, but the "SABI" thing will be harder to reverse engineer :).

It was in fact very fun to find out new commands, and I found interesting stuff.

However, I have a quick question: what does "wireless button" control
exactly ? Because my laptop (SwSmi@ one), seems to have a totally
different command to control rfkill (both for bluetooth and wlan). My
guess is that command do the same thing that happens when you press
the Fn+F12 key, but if it's really that I'd prefer use the "true"
rfkill interface with differencied control for bluetooth and wlan.

I have found other interesting information including:
- you can pass up to 11 byte of data for each command (but I didn't
found any command using more than 6)
- there is a way to find the model name and bios version near the signature
- wlan and bluetooth control
- USB charge control
- Keyboard backlight control
- Battery life extender control

I'll try to clean that up and send some patches in one week or two.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net