SubjectRe: INVLPG Instruction
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 19:59:44 -0500
Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> When a process has a page fault and Linux swaps out a page ( no more
> free page ) from another process and give it to the page-faulting
> process. Typically a INVLPG is used to invalidate entries in the TLB.
> I would like to know whether INVLPG is global ( i.e. across all cores
> )? How does the process which Linux stole the page from get informed (
> how is its tlb invalidated) ?

invlpg is not "global" in the way you mean it (nor in the sense of
"global pte's").
The kernel will do an IPI to the processors that have a possibility to
have this page in the TLB and do a local flush there.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2011-11-13 03:41    [W:0.113 / U:0.192 seconds]