SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)
Date
Johan Herland <johan@herland.net> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 18:26, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:
>>  - "git notes" is represented as a commit that records a tree that holds
>>   the entire mapping from commit to its annotations, and the only way to
>>   transferr it is to send it together with its history as a whole. It
>>   does not have the nice auto-following property that transfers only the
>>   relevant annotations.
>
> True. However, consider these mitigating factors:
>
> My point is that although "notes" might end up transferring more
> annotations than strictly necessary, I believe that in practice all the
> notes being transferred are already (or will soon become) relevant.

Sorry, but I do not think you are considering what would happen when you
have many branches with different purposes, whose commits near tips will
never get merged with each other. "automatic following" semantics like
what "git fetch" does for signed tags is absolutely necessary in such a
case, and the above are not mitigating factors at all in that context.