    SubjectRe: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)
    On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM, <david@lang.hm> wrote:
    >>
    >> what IMAP servers have you used? I find that with a good IMAP server I can
    >> get away with _very_ little processing power in the client and get good
    >> performance (I still am using pine, but with a cyrus IMAP server)
    >
    > I've used pine (and then alpine) to cyrus servers too. That was what
    > LF used to have on the server side. It absolutely sucked.
    >
    > That combination is supposed to do server-side searching etc, but you
    > couldn't tell from the performance. It was disgusting.

    interesting, that's the setup I have and the server side searching works
    well for me (searching for random text works much better if I have the
    server update it's squatter indexes frequently). I did find that different
    filesystems made a HUGE difference in system performance (with ext2/3
    being the worst). I use XFS, but I see a lot of people reporting good
    results with ext4, btrfs, and ZFS.

    the biggest folder I have has >250K messages in it and takes >20G. random
    text searches on that take 5-10 seconds (much better than I could do on
    my local drives)

    > I'm sure it works much better with a fast local network, but quite
    > frankly, that obviates the need for IMAP in the first place. If you
    > have your mail locally, there are better models than IMAP for handling
    > it.

    I agree that it's not strictly needed if you store everything local, but I
    don't want to have all that mail on my non-mirrored, small laptop drive
    (even if it is a SSD). I've suffered too many disk failures over the years
    to not have my mail store on redundant drives :-)

    David Lang

    > So the only situation I've found IMAP reasonable has been at corporate
    > settings where you're not talking DSL or cable modem speeds, but use
    > IMAP as a way to avoid NFS-mounting the mail spool, which is even
    > worse. But actually working over slowish internet connections? No
    > thank you.
    >
    > Linus

      Last update: 2011-11-01 06:01    [W:0.026 / U:0.656 seconds]