SubjectRe: ext4 bug ? "Intel 320 SSD write performance – contd."
On 10/31/2011 05:09 PM, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 09:38:37PM +0100, Vincent Pelletier wrote:
>
>> Reading this blog post[1], I thought the "2nd iteration" results could be
>> considered a bug in mkfs.ext4 (and possibly any mkfs implementation):
>> shouldn't mkfs run [FI]TRIM on its target before creating filesystem
>> structure ?
>>
> It's not enabled by default, because there are crappy SSD's out there
> where use of the TRIM command will turn them into bricks. (No, it's
> not the Intel X-25 drives that I'm worried about.)
>
> So I (and the distributions) don't want to make it the default, since
> if you buy crap drives and then mke2fs turns them into bricks, who are
> you likely to blame? The crap SSD manufacturer? Yourself for trying
> to buy SSD's on the cheap? Or the program that issued the TRIM
> command?
>
> You can enable the trim behaviour by default by adding to your
> /etc/mke2fs.conf file:
>
> [defaults]
> discard = true
>
> But then it's on your head if anything bad happens. :-/
>
> - Ted

<snip>

What about using discard in fstab like:
LABEL=/ / ext4
defaults,discard,noatime,nodiratime 1 1

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

  Last update: 2011-11-01 14:37    [W:0.064 / U:1.028 seconds]