    SubjectRe: big picture UDP/IP performance question re 2.6.18 -> 2.6.32
    If they didn't want $20k to get started ($10k
    for the card, $10k for the developer kit) would
    probably have ported our application to run
    outboard on a Tile64 NIC. The cost + youth
    of Tilra has been just a little to far out
    on the edge. If they survive (and lower the
    price a bit) it will become an increasingly
    easier sell.

    If their patents hold up and their investors
    can stomach the legal battles, they may
    win the day. Intel and AMD use ring
    topologies between cores and this can
    only scale so far.

    At 03:27 PM 10/7/2011 -0400, chetan loke wrote:
    >If at all, tile-cpu may not be able to survive the
    >heat in host-mode, but there's no competition in
    >device-mode. ASIC design is an expensive science
    >project. All adapter vendors know this. Not to
    >mention all the chicken-games they then have to
    >play to incorporate multi-core ARMs(or whatever
    >CPUs) to support big(40/100 G) pipes. Slowly their
    >firmware needs to evolve as an OS and they start
    >shopping for RT linux shops/consulting firms.Been
    >there. Done that. There's a lot of bad blood and
    >too much pain involved when you ask clunky
    >firmware guys to abandon the big fat while loop in
    >their beloved firmware and stop hacking the chip
    >;). Offload it to a tile-CPU and just sell what
    >you are good at - a darn protocol stack...

      Last update: 2011-10-07 21:51    [W:0.019 / U:61.544 seconds]