    SubjectRe: A Plumber’ s Wish List for Linux
    On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 01:17:02AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
    > * CPU modaliases in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/modalias:
    > useful to allow module auto-loading of e.g. cpufreq drivers and KVM
    > modules. Andy Kleen has a patch to create the alias file itself. CPU
    > ‘struct sysdev’ needs to be converted to ‘struct device’ and a ‘struct
    > bus_type cpu’ needs to be introduced to allow proper CPU coldplug event
    > replay at bootup. This is one of the last remaining places where
    > automatic hardware-triggered module auto-loading is not available. And
    > we’d like to see that fix to make numerous ugly userspace work-arounds
    > to achieve the same go away.

    I need to get off my ass and fix this properly, now that Rafael has done
    all of the hard work for sysdev already. Thanks for reminding me.

    > * export ‘struct device_type fb/fbcon’ of ‘struct class graphics’
    > Userspace wants to easily distinguish ‘fb’ and ‘fbcon’ from each other
    > without the need to match on the device name.

    Can't we just export a "type" file for the device for these devices?
    Is it really just that simple?

    > * module-init-tools: provide a proper libmodprobe.so from
    > module-init-tools:
    > Early boot tools, installers, driver install disks want to access
    > information about available modules to optimize bootup handling.

    What information do they want to know?

    > * allow user xattrs to be set on files in the cgroupfs (and maybe
    > procfs?)

    This shouldn't be that difficult, right?

    Thanks for the list, much appreciated.

    greg k-h