    SubjectRe: status: establishing a PGP web of trust
    On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Chris Friesen wrote:

    > On 10/05/2011 05:57 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > > Or if I have to bother Linus to meet me and sign my key the next
    > > > time he is here in Helsinki.
    > >
    > > And how would that change the fact that your personal trust value in
    > > this community is exactly ZERO?
    > >
    > > As your idea of trust seems to be based on an ID card you better find
    > > some other place with people who are stupid enough to believe that
    > > technical measures can replace deep personal trust.
    > Aren't you sort of conflating personal trust with a web-of-trust?

    No, I'm fighting the idiocy that people seem to believe that a web of
    signed keys has any value other than technically establishing the
    identity of a person.

    > A web-of-trust exists simply to associate a person with a key. It *is* a
    > technical measure. If Linus is willing to assert that Adrian's key matches up
    > with Adrian-as-individual, and you trust Linus, then you should accept
    > Adrian's key as valid regardless of whether or not you personally trust him.

    If Linus signs his key, then all it means is that I can be sure to a
    certain degree that the person who is using the key is Adrian. But
    it's neither a free ticket for a account nor does it have any
    other meaning.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-06 09:33    [W:0.025 / U:2.016 seconds]