SubjectRe: status: establishing a PGP web of trust
On 10/05/2011 05:57 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Adrian Bunk wrote:

>> Or if I have to bother Linus to meet me and sign my key the next
>> time he is here in Helsinki.
> And how would that change the fact that your personal trust value in
> this community is exactly ZERO?
> As your idea of trust seems to be based on an ID card you better find
> some other place with people who are stupid enough to believe that
> technical measures can replace deep personal trust.

Aren't you sort of conflating personal trust with a web-of-trust?

A web-of-trust exists simply to associate a person with a key. It *is*
a technical measure. If Linus is willing to assert that Adrian's key
matches up with Adrian-as-individual, and you trust Linus, then you
should accept Adrian's key as valid regardless of whether or not you
personally trust him.

Chris Friesen
Software Developer