SubjectRe: kernel.org status: establishing a PGP web of trust
On 10/05/2011 04:57 PM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> I really do not care about your ID card, because it's a fact that
> people got keys signed by showing fake IDs.

Right, but who cares about "fake" or "real" anyway?

The point is that a given patch submitter builds up a reputation over
time. Someone pretending to be that submitter is essentially riding on
someone else's reputation. A web of trust and gpg signatures help
prevent this.

But having a reputation doesn't mean all your patches are good, or that
you won't suddenly turn mad or evil. But that's not something that a
gpg signature can help with; it can only be dealt with a human
understanding of how other humans behave (and code review).

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans