SubjectRe: kernel.org status: establishing a PGP web of trust
On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 01:09:44PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 10:50:24PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > [1] I did check what Greg recommended in his email, but I'm not gonna
> > wipe my complete installation (including wiping /home) unless
> > someone can point at something indicating that there's a break-in
> > at my machine.
>
> What would you consider "proof" of a break-in on your machine that would
> cause you to be willing to reinstall it?

There is no clear definition.

Had debsums told me that /bin/bash was modified I would have been quite
convinced.

Externally observed suspicious behavior of my machine I could not explain.

Or many other things - after all I am a person with some basic
understanding of security and how computers work.

When I am convinced there was a break-in on my machine, I also have to
assume that all important and not so important accounts I have anywhere
(from unbelievably many Bugzilla accounts to machines where I have root
access) are also compromised, and have to act accordingly.

It is possible to convince me that there was likely a break-in on my
machine, but I am not assuming the worst case automatically, and for
going through that horror of assuming it happened I need to see
something clearly pointing at my machine.

> greg k-h

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.