SubjectRe: Quick review of -rt RCU-related patches
Paul,

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> rcu-reduce-lock-section.patch
>
> Prevents a wakeup within an irq-disabled raw spinlock.
> But which wakeup?

The call comes from:

synchronize_rcu_expedited()
raw_spin_lock_irqsave(&rsp->onofflock, flags);
sync_rcu_preempt_exp_init()
rcu_report_exp_rnp()

> o rcu_report_exp_rnp() is only permitted to do a wakeup
> if called with rrupts enabled.

That's not what the code does, obviously.

> o All calls enable wakeups -except- for the call from
> sync_rcu_preempt_exp_init(), but in that case, there
> is nothing to wake up -- it is in fact running doing
> the initialization.

Right, though the problem is that rcu_report_exp_rnp() unconditionally
calls wake_up() which takes the wait_queue lock (a "sleeping spinlock"
on RT). So the patch merily prevents the call when called from
synchronize_rcu_expedited() ...

> signal-fix-up-rcu-wreckage.patch
>
> Makes __lock_task_sighand() do local_irq_save_nort() instead
> of local_irq_save(). The RCU implementation should be OK with
> this. The signal implementation might or might not.

It does :)

> sched-might-sleep-do-not-account-rcu-depth.patch
>
> Yow!!! For CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL, this redefines
> sched_rcu_preempt_depth() to always return zero.
>
> This means that might_sleep() will never complain about
> blocking in an RCU read-side critical section. I guess that
> this is necessary, though it would be better to have some
> way to complain for general sleeping (e.g., waiting on
> network receive) as opposed to blocking on a lock that is
> subject to priority inheritance.

Well, there's always a remaining problem. We need that stuff fully
preemptible on rt. Any ideas ?

> rcu-force-preempt-rcu-for-rt.patch
>
> This one should be obsoleted by commit 8008e129dc9, which is
> queued in -tip, hopefully for 3.2.

Ok.

> Except for the RT_GROUP_SCHED change, which is unrelated.

Huch, that should be in a different patch

> rcu-disable-the-rcu-bh-stuff-for-rt.patch
>
> This implements RCU-bh in terms of RCU-preempt, but disables
> BH around the resulting RCU-preempt read-side critical section.
> May be vulnerable to network-based denial-of-service attacks,
> which could OOM a system with this patch.
>
> The implementation of rcu_read_lock_bh_held() is weak, but OK. In
> an ideal world, it would also complain if not local_bh_disable().

Well, I dropped that after our IRC conversation, but we still need to
have some extra debugging for RT to diagnose situations where we break
those rcu_bh assumptions. That _bh rcu stuff should have never been
there, we'd rather should drop the softirq processing back to
ksoftirqd in such an overload case (in mainline) and voluntary
schedule away from ksoftirqd until the situation is resolved.

I consider rcu_bh a bandaid for the nasty implict semantics of BH
processing and I'm looking really forward to Peters analysis of the
modern cpu local BKL constructs at RTLWS.

The patch stemmed from an earlier discussion about getting rid of
those special rcu_bh semantics even in mainline for the sake of not
making a special case for a completely over(ab)used construct which
originates from the historically grown softirq behaviour. I think that
keeping the special cased rcu_bh stuff around is just taking any
incentive away from moving that whole softirq processing into a
scheduler controllable environment (i.e. threaded interrupts).

> _paul_e__mckenney_-eliminate_-_rcu_boosted.patch
>
> Looks fine, but I might not be the best reviewer for this one.

:)

> peter_zijlstra-frob-rcu.patch
>
> Looks OK. Hmmm... Should this one go to mainline?
> Oh, looks equivalent, actually. So why the change?

Peter ?

> Possible fixes from the 3.2-bound RCU commits in -tip:
>
> 7eb4f455 (Make rcu_implicit_dynticks_qs() locals be correct size)
>
> Symptoms: misbehavior on 32-bit systems after a given CPU went
> through about 2^30 dyntick-idle transitions. You would
> have to work pretty hard to get this one to happen.

Definitley and most of our test systems run with nohz=off

> 5c51dd73 (Prevent early boot set_need_resched() from __rcu_pending())
>
> Symptoms: boot-time hangs for rare configurations.

Never seen that one

> 037067a1 (Prohibit grace periods during early boot)
>
> Symptoms: boot-time hangs for rare configurations.

Ditto

> 06ae115a (Avoid having just-onlined CPU resched itself when RCU is idle)
>
> Symptoms: boot-time hangs for rare configurations.

Ditto

> 5b61b0ba (Wire up RCU_BOOST_PRIO for rcutree)
>
> Symptoms: The system uses RT priority 1 for boosting regardless
> of the value of CONFIG_RCU_BOOST_PRIO.

Makes sense

> e90c53d3 (Remove rcu_needs_cpu_flush() to avoid false quiescent states)
>
> Symptoms: Too-short grace periods for RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y.
> But simpler to set RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=n.

We probably don't have that on

> And the following is a patch to a theoretical problem with expedited
> grace periods.

> rcu: Avoid RCU-preempt expedited grace-period botch

Were you able to actually trigger that?

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2011-10-05 00:09    [W:0.045 / U:2.084 seconds]