    SubjectRe: Latency writing to an mlocked ext4 mapping
    On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Jan Kara <> wrote:
    >> >  We don't update timestamp when the page is written back. I believe this
    >> > is mostly because we don't know whether the data has been changed by a
    >> > write syscall, which already updated the timestamp, or by mmap. That is
    >> > also the reason why we update the timestamp at page fault time.
    >> >
    >> >  The reason why file_update_time() blocks for you is probably that it
    >> > needs to get access to buffer where inode is stored on disk and because a
    >> > transaction including this buffer is committing at the moment, your thread
    >> > has to wait until the transaction commit finishes. This is mostly a problem
    >> > specific to how ext4 works so e.g. xfs shouldn't have it.
    >> >
    >> >  Generally I believe the attempts to achieve any RT-like latencies when
    >> > writing to a filesystem are rather hopeless. How much hopeless depends on
    >> > the load of the filesystem (e.g., in your case of mostly idle filesystem I
    >> > can imagine some tweaks could reduce your latencies to an acceptable level
    >> > but once the disk gets loaded you'll be screwed). So I'd suggest that
    >> > having RT thread just store log in memory (or write to a pipe) and have
    >> > another non-RT thread write the data to disk would be a much more robust
    >> > design.
    >> Windows seems to do pretty well at this, and I think it should be fixable on
    >> Linux too.  "All" that needs to be done is to remove the pte_wrprotect from
    >> page_mkclean_one.  The fallout from that might be unpleasant, though, but
    >> it would probably speed up a number of workloads.
    >  Well, but Linux's mm pretty much depends the pte_wrprotect() so that's
    > unlikely to go away in a forseeable future. The reason is that we need to
    > reliably account the number of dirty pages so that we can throttle
    > processes that dirty too much of memory and also protect agaist system
    > going into out-of-memory problems when too many pages would be dirty (and
    > thus hard to reclaim). Thus we create clean pages as write-protected, when
    > they are first written to, we account them as dirtied and unprotect them.
    > When pages are cleaned by writeback, we decrement number of dirty pages
    > accordingly and write-protect them again.

    What about skipping pte_wrprotect for mlocked pages and continuing to
    account them dirty even if they're actually clean? This should be a
    straightforward patch except for the effect on stable pages for
    writeback. (It would also have unfortunate side effects on
    ctime/mtime without my other patch to rearrange that code.)

    >> Adding a whole separate process just to copy data from memory to disk sounds
    >> a bit like a hack -- that's what mmap + mlock would do if it worked better.
    >  Well, always only guarantees you cannot hit major fault when accessing
    > the page. And we keep that promise - we only hit a minor fault. But I agree
    > that for your usecase this is impractical.

    Not really true. We never fault in the page, but make_write can wait
    for I/O (for hundreds of ms) which is just as bad.

    > I can see as theoretically feasible for writeback to skip mlocked pages
    > which would help your case. But practically, I do not see how to implement
    > that efficiently (just skipping a dirty page when we find it's mlocked
    > seems like a way to waste CPU needlessly).
    >> Incidentally, pipes are no good.  I haven't root-caused it yet, but both
    >> reading to and writing from pipes, even if O_NONBLOCK, can block.  I
    >> haven't root-caused it yet.
    >  Interesting. I imagine they could block on memory allocation but I guess
    > you don't put that much pressure on your system. So it might be interesting
    > to know where else they block...

    I'll figure it out in a couple of days, I imagine.

      Last update: 2011-11-01 00:17    [W:0.025 / U:12.952 seconds]