SubjectRe: [BUG] kernel 3.1.0 possible circular locking dependency detected
Am 31.10.2011 16:08, schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> [ Added a few more people to the cc ]
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Knut Petersen
> <Knut_Petersen@t-online.de> wrote:
>> After a " rm -r /verybigdir" (about 12G on a 25G reiserfs 3.6partition)
>> I found the following report about a circular locking dependency in
>> kernel 3.1.0
> Heh. There is even a comment about the ordering violation:
>
> /* We use I_MUTEX_CHILD here to silence lockdep. It's safe because xattr
> * mutation ops aren't called during rename or splace, which are the
> * only other users of I_MUTEX_CHILD. It violates the ordering, but that's
> * better than allocating another subclass just for this code. */
>
> and apparently the comment is wrong: we *do* end up looking up xattrs
> during splice, due to the security_inode_need_killpriv() thing.
>
> So I think this needs a suid (or sgid) file that has xattrs and is removed.

Well, after rm -r /some_small_dir_with_suid_and_sgid_files
there was no warning in dmesg.

I restored a copy of /verybigdir and searched for sgid/suid files with
find /test -type f -perm +6000 -exec ls -l {} \;

Result: not a singe suid/sgid file in /verybigdir

But rm -r /verybigdir triggered the warning again ...

knut

> That said, I suspect this is a false positive, because the actual
> unlink can never happen while somebody is splicing to/from the same
> file at the same time (because then the iput wouldn't be the last one
> for the inode, and the file removal would be delayed until the file
> has been closed for the last time).
>
> But the hacky use of "I_MUTEX_CHILD" is basically not the proper way
> to silence the lockdep splat.
>
> Anybody?
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2011-10-31 17:01    [W:0.126 / U:1.064 seconds]