    SubjectRe: Re: BUG in kernel: Wrong Handling of USB HDD’s in scsiglue(slave_configure) and scsi/sd(sd_read_cache_type)
    On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, James Bottomley wrote:

    > On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 14:10 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
    > > > No. You need to also take into account the RBC
    > > > device parameters mode page if present. See above.
    > >
    > > All right, suppose neither page is present. Does it then make sense to
    > > assume by default that write caching is enabled?
    > You're the USB expert ... if we do that, we'll start sending
    > SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE commands down to a whole slew of devices we didn't
    > before ... is that going to cause problems with any USB SATLs?

    Hmmm... Actually, I doubt it would bother any SATLs, but it might well
    bother other sorts of USB translation layers. No way to tell without
    trying it, and I don't really want to deal with the fallout.

    Maybe a better question to be asking is this: What happens when one of
    these drives (the ones that report their caching capabilities
    incorrectly) is plugged into a Windows system?

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-03 21:57    [W:0.021 / U:5.468 seconds]