    SubjectRe: [Patch 1/4][kernel][slimdump] Add new elf-note of type NT_NOCOREDUMP to capture slimdump
    "K.Prasad" <prasad@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

    > There are certain types of crashes induced by faulty hardware in which
    > capturing crashing kernel's memory (through kdump) makes no sense (or sometimes
    > dangerous).
    >
    > A case in point, is unrecoverable memory errors (resulting in fatal machine
    > check exceptions) in which reading from the faulty memory location from the
    > kexec'ed kernel will cause double fault and system reset (leaving no
    > information for the user).

    It does make plenty of sense, and I capture the all of the time.
    It totally doesn't make sense to do this in the kernel when we can
    filter this from userspace just fine.

    Nacked-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xmission.com>

    I thought we already had this discussion. Why is this silliness coming
    back?

    I especially dislike the notion of hardcoding policy in the kernel like this.

    Eric

      Last update: 2011-10-03 12:13    [W:0.026 / U:0.204 seconds]