Subject[drm:radeon_dp_i2c_aux_ch] *ERROR* aux i2c too many retries, giving up
Hello

When I boot up my computer with a 3.1 kernel I get a scary error
message just bellow the penguins:

[drm:radeon_dp_i2c_aux_ch] *ERROR* aux i2c too many retries, giving up

On a dual core it's printed twice, on a quad core it's printed 4 times.
I compile my kernels without modules and with the Radeon firmware
compiled into the kernel. As far as I can see the computers are working
perfectly but I'd like to understand this error message. It seems a bit
strange that it's printed to the screen even if I boot the kernel with
the quiet command line option. If someone could tell me what the error
message means I would be grateful (please CC me as I'm not subscribed).

I emailed this list asking about this last Wednesday but got no replies
so I've had to simply fall back on removing this kernel "feature":

sed -i 's#\tDRM_ERROR("aux i2c#//&#' \
drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/atombios_dp.c

This makes the error message go away but it's not ideal, I'd rather
understand what it means.

Andy

  Last update: 2011-10-24 14:37    [W:0.032 / U:0.040 seconds]