SubjectRe: lsusd - The Linux SUSpend Daemon
On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:48:22 +0200 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

> On Sunday, October 23, 2011, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 22:00:13 -0400 (EDT) Alan Stern
> > <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> > > On my Fedora-14 systems there is no /run, and /var/run is a regular
> > > directory in a regular filesystem.

> > > Not easily -- as far as I can tell, futexes enjoy relatively little
> > > support. In any case, they provide the same service as a mutex, which
> > > means you'd have to build a shared lock on top of them.

> > > There shouldn't be any trouble about making wakeup_count pollable. It
> > > also would need to respect nonblocking reads, which it currently does
> > > not do.
> >
> > Hmm.. you are correct. I wonder why I thought it did support non-blocking
> > reads...
> > I guess it was the code for handling an interrupted system call.
> >
> > I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of sysfs files that block but I
> > don't think I can convincingly argue against it.
> > A non-blocking flag could be passed in, but it would be a very messy change -
> > lots of function call signatures changing needlessly: we would need a flag
> > to the 'show' method ... or add a 'show_nonblock' method which would also be
> > ugly.
> >

> > But I think there is a need to block - if there is an in-progress event then
> > it must be possible to wait for it to complete as it may not be visible to
> > userspace until then.
> > We could easily enable 'poll' for wakeup_count and then make it always
> > non-blocking, but I'm not really sure I want to require programs to use poll,
> > only to allow them. And without using poll there is no way to wait.
> >
> > As wakeup_count really has to be single-access we could possibly fudge
> > something by remembering the last value read (like we remember the last value
> > written).
> >
> > - if the current count is different from the last value read, then return
> > it even if there are in-progress events.
> > - if the current count is the same as the last value read, then block until
> > there are no in-progress events and return the new value.
> > - enable sysfs_poll on wakeup_count by calling sysfs_notify_dirent at the
> > end of wakeup_source_deactivated .... or calling something in
> > kernel/power/main.c which calls that. However we would need to make
> > sysfs_notify_dirent a lot lighter weight first. Maybe I should do that.
> >
> > Then a process that uses 'poll' could avoid reading wakeup_count except when
> > it has changed, and then it won't block. And a process that doesn't use poll
> > can block by simply reading twice - either explicitly or by going around a
> > read then write and it fails
> > loop a second time.
> >
> > I'm not sure I'm completely comfortable with that, but it is the best I could
> > come up with.
>
> Well, you're now considering doing more and more changes to the kernel
> just to be able to implement something in user space to avoid making
> some _other_ changes to the kernel. That doesn't sound right to me.

:-) I thought I might get challenged on something like that.

I think the cases are different though.

I'm not presenting this code as a new feature. I don't need new features -
I have user-space code which works correctly with the current kernel features.

However the precise usage of wakeup_count is a little unusual in that it
blocks when you read. That doesn't mean that it cannot be used correctly,
but it might limit the options available to a user-space program which wants
to use it. I was just looking at ways to generalise the existing interface
so that it matches the rest of the kernel better. I see it much more as a
bug fix than as a new feature.

I'm not saying we need this patch, and I'm not even sure I like it. I just
presented it as part of exploring exactly how the wakeup_count interface
really works. It is an interface that I like and that does allow the
original suspend-race problem to be solved, but that does not mean it is
necessarily perfect.

Thanks,
NeilBrown

  Last update: 2011-10-24 01:07    [W:0.085 / U:0.040 seconds]