SubjectRe: Please revert "debug: Make CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options"
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:19:29AM +0200, Michal Marek wrote:
> On 20.10.2011 23:41, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Ingo, would you accept if I would go through the Kconfig files and
> > monitor future changes to Kconfig files in the kernel (or if Michal does
> > it, I don't insist that it has to be me if someone else wants to do it)?
>
> What kind of changes do you have in mind? Sorry, I haven't followed the

Checking the correctness and making things more robust.

An example:

config KVM
tristate "Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) support"
# for TASKSTATS/TASK_DELAY_ACCT:
depends on NET
select TASKSTATS
select TASK_DELAY_ACCT

That breaks if anyone touches the dependencies of TASKSTATS
or TASK_DELAY_ACCT.

It should be solved better, my first thought would be introducing
something like a TASK_DELAY_ACCT_AVAILABLE variable.

(I am also not sure if what KVM is doing here is the best possible
solution or if there's an in-kernel interface that should be factored
out instead - but that is a secondary discussion that might start when
you look at such cross-subsystem select's.)

> Michal

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2011-10-21 11:25    [W:0.082 / U:1.532 seconds]