SubjectRe: kernel 3.0: BUG: soft lockup: find_get_pages+0x51/0x110
From
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Mel Gorman <mgorman@suse.de> wrote:
> [...]
>> > change its page->index) the page should always find _all_ its pte at
>> > any given time.
>> >
>> > There may be other variables at play like the order of insertion in
>> > the anon_vma chain matches our direction of copy and removal of the
>> > old pte. But I think the double locking of the PT lock should make the
>> > order in the anon_vma chain absolutely irrelevant (the rmap_walk
>> > obviously takes the PT lock too), and furthermore likely the
>> > anon_vma_chain insertion is favorable (the dst vma is inserted last
>> > and checked last). But it shouldn't matter.
>>
>> I happened to be reading these code last week.
>>
>> And I do think this order matters, the reason is just quite similar why we
>> need i_mmap_lock in move_ptes():
>> If rmap_walk goes dst--->src, then when it first look into dst, ok, the
>
> You might be right in that the ordering matters. We do link new VMAs at
> the end of the list in anon_vma_chain_list so remove_migrate_ptes should
> be walking from src->dst.
>
> If remove_migrate_pte finds src first, it will remove the pte and the
> correct version will get copied. If move_ptes runs between when
> remove_migrate_ptes moves from src to dst, then the PTE at dst will
> still be correct.
>
>> pte is not there, and it happily skip it and release the PTL.
>> Then just before it look into src, move_ptes() comes in, takes the locks
>> and moves the pte from src to dst. And then when rmap_walk() look
>> into src,  it will find an empty pte again. The pte is still there,
>> but rmap_walk() missed it !
>>

> I believe the ordering is correct though and protects us in this case.
>
>> IMO, this can really happen in case of vma_merge() succeeding.
>> Imagine that src vma is lately faulted and in anon_vma_prepare()
>> it got a same anon_vma with an existing vma ( named evil_vma )through
>> find_mergeable_anon_vma().  This can potentially make the vma_merge() in
>> copy_vma() return with evil_vma on some new relocation request. But src_vma
>> is really linked _after_  evil_vma/new_vma/dst_vma.
>> In this way, the ordering protocol  of anon_vma chain is broken.
>> This should be a rare case because I think in most cases
>> if two VMAs can reusable_anon_vma() they were already merged.
>>
>> How do you think  ?
>>

> Despite the comments in anon_vma_compatible(), I would expect that VMAs
> that can share an anon_vma from find_mergeable_anon_vma() will also get
> merged. When the new VMA is created, it will be linked in the usual
> manner and the oldest->newest ordering is what is required. That's not
> that important though.
>
> What is important is if mremap is moving src to a dst that is adjacent
> to another anon_vma. If src has never been faulted, it's not an issue
> because there are also no migration PTEs. If src has been faulted, then
> is_mergeable_anon_vma() should fail as anon_vma1 != anon_vma2 and they
> are not compatible. The ordering is preserved and we are still ok.

Hi Mel,

Thanks for input. I agree on _almost_ all your reasoning above.

But there is a tricky series of events I mentioned in
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/21/14

, which, I think, can really lead to anon_vma1 == anon_vma2 in this case.
These events is led by a failure when do_brk() fails on vma_merge() due to
ENOMEM, rare it maybe though, And I am still not sure if there exists
any other corner cases when a "should be merged" VMAs just sit there
side by side
for sth reason -- normally, that does not trigger BUGs, so maybe hard to
detect in real workload.

Please refer to my link and I think the construction was very clear if I had not
missed sth subtle.

Thanks,

Nai Xia