SubjectRe: Module rtl8192cu (Upstream kernel bug)
On 10/20/2011 03:19 PM, Thor Malmjursson wrote:
> Hi. My name is Thor Malmjursson, I'm on the Kubuntu 11.10 OS, and I've
> discovered a bug with a kernel driver module which may need some attention. The
> main details of the bug are here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/878504
>
> The issue is with the rtl8192cu kernel module, released in the 3.0 series of
> kernels, which we only got for the first time with our distro upgrade about 6
> days ago. I have a USB WiFi adapter which should work with that module, and it
> actually associates with it when I plug it into the PC - the problem is, the
> device is immediately locking open and refusing to scan, either automatically or
> manually.
>
> It's a wireless adapter made by Texet, with the USBID 0BDA:8176
>
> The only way I've been able to get the device to function is through
> ndiswrapper, but native support would be much better.
>
> As all the information you would need (i assume) is present on the bug report I
> listed above, I will leave this with you.
>
> I trust you will be able to help me with this.

I tried to post on the Ubuntu bugzilla, but the response was really slow and I
gave up there.

The dmesg output you posted there involved using ndiswrapper, thus I did not see
if the device was able to load the firmware. The specific file for that device
is /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin. It is part of a kernel firmware
package. I do not know what Ubuntu calls it.

Larry

  Last update: 2011-10-21 05:55    [W:0.039 / U:0.768 seconds]