    SubjectRe: kenel level packet capturing
    Hi,

    You would probably have more/better replies if you asked netdev <netdev@vger.kernel.org>.

    On Tue, 18 October 2011 raviraj joshi <raviraj.j1991@gmail.com> wrote:
    > We are making a kernel level packet capture module as a part of our BE project .
    > We are finding it difficult to understand kenel networking code.
    > We studied structures and functions like sk_buff, netif_rx(),dev_alloc_skb.
    > How ever we were not able to trace the actual path a simple packet follows.
    > Moreover we tried to count the no of times netif_rx function was
    > called it was much much lower than amount of packets actually being
    > received.

    netif_rx may fetch more than a single packet from the network interface
    controller in order to improve performance.

    > Can anyone please let us know the reason for this and how to approach
    > the problem of writing a kernel level packet capture module.

    The better place to capture packets is probably by hooking somewhere into
    netfilter code as all packets traverse it (assuming it is loaded/enabled).

    Bruno

    > regards,
    > Raviraj Joshi
    > PICT,Pune.

      Last update: 2011-10-18 22:53    [W:0.116 / U:59.864 seconds]