SubjectRe: [RFC] fixing the UML failure root cause
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@mit.edu> wrote:

> Another idea is to have a flag that asks the fault handlers to call
> force_sig_info for us.  That's just one bit of per-thread state.  Then
> the vsyscall emulation code could check access_ok, force a signal if
> access is not ok, then set the flag and do the syscall.  And maybe
> some processes would want to opt in to that mode anyway -- arguably
> EFAULT is a serious programmer error and should be dealt with more
> harshly than other syscall misuses.

Ok, so I really like that approach. I could easily see some process
saying "I want a SIGSEGV in addition to the EFAULT that I always get".

And yes, it would fix the vsyscall emulation code which could just
save the thread flag, set it, do the accesses, and restore it to the
old valud.

Please make it so,

Linus