SubjectRe: A Plumber’ s Wish List for Linux
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 08:08:09PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 08:01:10PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> > > Well, wouldn't it be better to pull that complexity to userspace?
> > > After all, moving tasks from a cgroup to another is not a performance
> > > critical operation so that probably doesn't need to be all handled by
> > > the kernel.
> > >
> > > If one worries about concurrent clone/fork while moving tasks, then
> > > freezing the cgroup and moving its tasks away from userspace could
> > > be enough?
> >
> > Well, it's not that problem to make it task-by-task, still I think
> > it's just a convenient shortcut :)
> >

> Frederic, don't get me wrong, but when I've tried cgroups and freezer for
> first time (and I did it not by any script but by hands rather) it makes
> me scream out that once I've moved a number of tasks to some freezer cgroup
> now I need to move them back again. Of course there is a way to write some
> script of whatever but I thought we had some echo -1 shortcut. Anyway,
> I can live with it ;)

Using a script would be a much better shortcut.
The script may be a few dozen lines. Push that in the kernel and it may
be much more.

Have a close overall look at kernel/cgroup.c and ask yourself if you would
like to add 100 more lines to it, to avoid to make it in userspace ;)

  Last update: 2011-10-14 18:21    [W:0.064 / U:0.136 seconds]