SubjectRe: A Plumber’ s Wish List for Linux
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:16:41PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:40:14AM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> >
> > In general, I think making freezer work nicely with the rest of the
> > system is a good idea and have been working towards that direction.
> > Allowing a frozen task to be killed is not only handy for use cases
> > like above but also makes solving freezer involved deadlocks much less
> > likely and easier to solve. Another that I have in mind is allowing
> > ptrace from unfrozen task to a frozen task. This can be helpful in
> > general debugging (currently attaching to multi-threaded, violently
> > cloning process is quite cumbersome) and userland checkpointing.
>
> Yeah, being able to ptrace a frozen cgroup would be great for us.
> We stick with signals start/stop cycle at moment but the final target
> is the cgroups and freezer of course. (btw while were poking freezer
> code I noticed that there is no shortcut to move all tasks in cgroup
> into the root cgroup, so I guess say "echo -1 > tasks" might be a good
> addition to move all tasks from some particular cgroup to the root
> by single action).

Well, wouldn't it be better to pull that complexity to userspace?
After all, moving tasks from a cgroup to another is not a performance
critical operation so that probably doesn't need to be all handled by
the kernel.

If one worries about concurrent clone/fork while moving tasks, then
freezing the cgroup and moving its tasks away from userspace could
be enough?

  Last update: 2011-10-14 17:41    [W:0.100 / U:1.464 seconds]