    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] linux-next: Tree for Oct 12 (sound/soc/codecs/wm1250-ev1)
    On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:28:49AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:

    > You are listed as MODULE_AUTHOR(). Can we expect a fix?

    I dunno; like I say I don't see an issue in the driver here (the driver
    usage of the GPIOs is optional), the GPIO build options are pretty
    fiddly and I just wrote the mail below.

    > I don't see how stubs help with source lines like:
    > struct wm1250_priv {
    > struct gpio gpios[WM1250_EV1_NUM_GPIOS];
    > };

    So, clearly there's an issue with the API not stubbing itself out
    terribly well here; the obvious solution would appear to be to have a
    definition of the struct to go along with the stubs. I guess you see
    some sort of problem with this, though? It does work well enough for
    other similar APIs like regulator_bulk_*() so I'd expect it to work here.

    To be honest though I'm more concerned that this is being reported as an
    issue in a specific driver than I am about the actual issue (which one
    does have to try pretty hard to see, I'd be astonished if someone saw it
    outside of deliberate testing). As a result of the number of randconfig
    type tests you do I'd guess you're aware of the APIs like GPIO which are
    expected to stub themselves out when disabled. As with the usage in
    this driver there's a huge proportion of users which can optionally use
    the API but don't actually need it and which therefore shouldn't have
    build time dependencies, and clearly scattering ifdefs throughout the
    code isn't great either. These things do fix the *configs but they
    reduce the coverage we get with our automated testing and they make the
    code harder to work with.

    The main reason I'm pushing back in this way is that as we start to get
    more and more embedded hardware in subsystems maintained by people from
    a PC background it becomes more and more important that people like you
    who do this who do a lot of this kernel wide testing are directing these
    issues appropriately by checking to see if what's going wrong is a
    result of the driver or if it's a result of one of the service APIs like
    GPIO or regulator (and hopefully soon clk) not being transparent enough.

    Subsystem maintainers who usually work on PCs likely won't be aware of
    what's going on with this sort of stuff except in so far as they get
    reports of *config issues since PCs don't generally have to deal with
    the haphazard board dependant setup that is so common in the embedded
    space and random driver authors aren't going to be reliably familiar
    with either that or build coverage type things either as the
    configurations that break are generally not too realistic anyway.

    I don't mean to get at you personally here - while you do do a lot of
    good work here you're not the only person who does this sort of testing
    and hence reports issues in this manner, and obviously there's a lot of
    maintainers too. I think it's mostly an education thing but I'm not
    sure what the best way to go about spreading the word is, if nothing
    else I don't know how to reach all the build coverage people (who I
    think are key here).

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-14 00:01    [W:0.031 / U:19.780 seconds]