SubjectRe: [Question] PM-QoS: PM_QOS_CPU_DMA_LATENCY == interrupt latency?
From
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Shaohua Li <shli@kernel.org> wrote:
> 2011/10/11 Ming Lei <tom.leiming@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,

>>> it's the main motivation, IIRC, don't know other platforms
>>
>> If so, maybe all device drivers which support DMA transfer should
>> have used PM_QOS_CPU_DMA_LATENCY, but why only few drivers
>> did it?
> depends on your device. Say cpu takes 1s to snoop dma in idle state, so device
> dma will cost more than 1s. if your device can work with such latency, no
> problem then.

Sorry, I am still a bit confused.

As you said before, for x86, some deep cpu idle states may stop dma
snoop, so introduce PM_QOS_CPU_DMA_LATENCY to prevent cpuidle from
entering such kind of deep idle state if I/O dma is in progress. I
understand the cpu dma pm qos should always be applied before starting
any dma transfer, Otherwise, cpu local cache may not be updated after
dma is over when cpu is returned from the deep idle state.

If so, the latency is only related with the exit latency of cpu idle
state in which dma snoop is stopped, instead of being related with I/O
devices.

Please correct me if the above is wrong.

thanks,
--
Ming Lei

  Last update: 2011-10-11 11:39    [W:0.051 / U:0.136 seconds]