SubjectRe: [01/38] PCI: Set PCI-E Max Payload Size on fabric
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:14:05PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>> It's not obvious that this fits the criteria for -stable
>> (Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt).
>>
>> For example, I can't tell what real problem this fixes.
>
> Yeah, it's not obvious, but I have had a lot of reports that 3.0 does
> not work on some systems without this set of patches.  Now figuring out
> of those same systems ever worked at all is getting to be quite
> difficult as I don't have access to the hardware, and the people that do
> aren't responding to test requests.  But from what I gather, 2.6.32 did
> work on these boxes, so it is a regression somehow, but I am not
> positive of this.

I'd like to know more about this regression.

> Now I'm very open to pushback, and if people really don't want these in
> (i.e. the PCI maintainer(s) say no), then I'll drop them and work with
> the distros to get them into their trees so that their customers's
> systems will work properly.

If distros want these patches, does that mean they have bug reports?
URLs to them would be helpful.

I just haven't seen any concrete information that says -stable will be
better off if it includes these patches. We've tripped over enough
problems upstream that I'm concerned they might make things worse
rather than better.

Bjorn