SubjectRe: big picture UDP/IP performance question re 2.6.18 -> 2.6.32
On 10/06/2011 11:40 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 octobre 2011 à 23:27 -0400, a écrit :

>> If the older kernels are switching to NAPI
>> for much of surge and the switching out
>> once the pulse falls off, it might
>> conceivably result in much better latency
>> and overall performance.

> Thats exactly the opposite : Your old kernel is not fast enough to
> enter/exit NAPI on every incoming frame.
> Instead of one IRQ per incoming frame, you have less interrupts :
> A napi run processes more than 1 frame.
> Now increase your incoming rate, and you'll discover a new kernel will
> be able to process more frames without losses.

I wonder if it would make sense to adjust the interrupt mitigation
parameters in the NIC to allow it to accumulate a few packets before
interrupting the CPU. We had good luck using this to reduce interrupt
rate on a quasi-pathological case where we were bouncing in and out of
NAPI because we were *just* fast enough to keep up with incoming packets.

Chris Friesen
Software Developer