    SubjectRe: Hang with "runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1" on Linux 3.0.4
    On 10/1/11 4:37 PM, Shea Levy wrote:
    > On 09/29/2011 08:38 AM, shea@shealevy.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> My initrd mounts /proc and /sys, puts a tmpfs at /dev, then loads
    >> ext4. On
    >> 2.6.39 (and earlier), this works fine and the initrd init continues
    >> happily. On 3.0.4, however, the kernel spits out
    >>
    >>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1
    >> a few times then hangs. If I drop into a shell before loading ext4
    >> and run
    >> modprobe unix, the same problem occurs. The modprobe used is dynamically
    >> linked with glibc (which is included in the initrd), and it is the same
    >> modprobe on the working and non-working systems. From my searches, it
    >> appears that CONFIG_UNIX=y instead of =m would probably solve this
    >> problem, but I'd rather keep it as a module if it's possible to get it
    >> working. What's going wrong here? Why does it work on 2.6.39 but not
    >> 3.0.4?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Shea Levy
    >>
    >> --
    >> linux-kernel" in
    >> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    >
    > CC'ing af_unix.c maintainers. Also, I had the same problem with 3.0.
    > --
    > linux-kernel" in
    This ended up being a problem with how my distro builds its initrd,
    sorry for the noise.

    For the curious: The problem had to do with moving the depmod logic out
    of the main Makefile and into scripts/depmod.sh. My distro doesn't use a
    single global directory for all modules, so we needed to remove the '-b
    "$INSTALL_MOD_PATH"' from the depmod command that's run after module
    installation. We did this with a sed on the Makefile, which was a noop
    once that code was moved into a different file.

      Last update: 2011-10-11 16:19    [W:0.024 / U:90.484 seconds]