SubjectRe: Hang with "runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1" on Linux 3.0.4
On 10/1/11 4:37 PM, Shea Levy wrote:
> On 09/29/2011 08:38 AM, shea@shealevy.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My initrd mounts /proc and /sys, puts a tmpfs at /dev, then loads
>> ext4. On
>> 2.6.39 (and earlier), this works fine and the initrd init continues
>> happily. On 3.0.4, however, the kernel spits out
>>
>>> request_module: runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1
>> a few times then hangs. If I drop into a shell before loading ext4
>> and run
>> modprobe unix, the same problem occurs. The modprobe used is dynamically
>> linked with glibc (which is included in the initrd), and it is the same
>> modprobe on the working and non-working systems. From my searches, it
>> appears that CONFIG_UNIX=y instead of =m would probably solve this
>> problem, but I'd rather keep it as a module if it's possible to get it
>> working. What's going wrong here? Why does it work on 2.6.39 but not
>> 3.0.4?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Shea Levy
>>
>> --
>> linux-kernel" in
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
> CC'ing af_unix.c maintainers. Also, I had the same problem with 3.0.
> --
> linux-kernel" in
This ended up being a problem with how my distro builds its initrd,
sorry for the noise.

For the curious: The problem had to do with moving the depmod logic out
of the main Makefile and into scripts/depmod.sh. My distro doesn't use a
single global directory for all modules, so we needed to remove the '-b
"$INSTALL_MOD_PATH"' from the depmod command that's run after module
installation. We did this with a sed on the Makefile, which was a noop
once that code was moved into a different file.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans