    SubjectRe: [patch] cpusets, cgroups: disallow attaching kthreadd
    On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 09:43 -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:

    > Yes, I think we need something like this. wq workers were using
    > PF_THREAD_BOUND to prevent diddling from userland which made some
    > unhappy.

    But that can be properly fixed.

    > Maybe we need a flag to properly indicate "don't diddle with
    > this thread from userland"? But, then, mainline kernel wouldn't need
    > the current PF_THREAD_BOUND at all. Peter, Steven, what do you think?

    Strict per-cpu affinity that is needed for correctness and disallows
    sched_setaffinity() is something entirely different from not being
    allowed to put something in a cgroup.

    As to not allowing to put in a cgroup thing, is there anything other
    than kthreadd for which we need to enforce that? So far I've mostly
    treated it like: root can do stupid things, this is one of them, don't
    do that then.

    I don't think its horribly bad to change the affinity mask of kthreadd,
    if a sibling kthread needs a specific affinity it should set that and
    override whatever it inherits. If it runs with the default, its a neat
    way of setting that.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-11 16:11    [W:0.019 / U:11.232 seconds]