    SubjectRe: Oprofile Regression Caused by commit e5d1367f17ba6a6fed5fd8b74e4d5720923e0c25 on PPC
    On Fri, 07 Oct 2011, Eric B Munson wrote:

    > This commit seems to have caused a regression with oprofile. It is fairly easy
    > to trigger, simply run oprofile monitoring an event that will fire (something
    > frequent like CPU cycles) causes oprofile to fail saying that the PMU is in use.
    > If I disable CONFIG_CGROUP_PERF, everything goes back to working. I suspect the
    > problem is that the PMU is being initialized without being reserved for perf. I
    > am not yet sure of the right fix yet so if you have any suggestions I would
    > appreciate them.
    >
    > Eric

    This isn't the best description of the behavior we see, what happens is at some
    point in the profiling session the MMCR register is clobbered by
    perf_cgroup_switch() which calls perf_pmu_enable() without reserving the PMC
    hardware. When this happens oprofile stops counting. It doesn't happen each
    time so some runs show event counts that are reasonable, but it can also lead to
    event counts that are smaller than expected, or completely missing.

    Eric

      Last update: 2011-10-11 01:41    [W:0.022 / U:358.828 seconds]