    SubjectRe: When to re-post or give up on a message
    On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Shea Levy <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > If a new thread is posted to the list without any response, how long should
    > the poster wait before losing any expectation of a response? Under what
    > circumstances should the poster then re-post, and when should he just give
    > up on that thread? Sorry to have to ask this on the list, but I can't find
    > it on the faq anywhere.
    > Cheers,
    > Shea Levy

    Hi Shea,
    I'm a long, long, long time lurker, seldom poster. I'm not a
    developer but like to read about at least the big issues here.

    My experience on getting a response here has a lot to do with what
    my request is. I only post here when I cannot find another place more
    appropriate on my own. I'd say that out of the 20-30 threads I've
    posted here over the last decade at least 95% have been responded to.
    Most have gotten a response in a day or two. Some have taken a week.

    My follow-up strategy is oriented around getting someone interested
    in my issue. Typically what I do is post everything I think is of
    interest on the first post, and following that keep working it on my
    own. If I haven't received a response in a day or two, not including
    weekends, then I'll typically respond to myself with more information
    gathered since the first post. Sometimes it's taken 2-3 posts to get
    the eyeballs of someone who's working on the area I'm concerned with.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-10-01 21:01    [W:0.023 / U:1.208 seconds]