    SubjectRe: kernel.org status: hints on how to check your machine for intrusion
    On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 14:13 -0400, David Miller wrote:
    > From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
    > Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 14:06:41 -0400
    >
    > > For my machine that is connected to the outside world, I have a script
    > > that runs every night that checks for attacks. As bots constantly look
    > > for port 22 and 80, they find my machine without issue. When my script
    > > detects a bunch of ssh login attempts that fail, it will add that ip
    > > address to the iptables DROP chain:
    >
    > By running sshd on a different port, you'll avoid the login attempts
    > as well as the overhead of the successful connection attempts.
    >
    > I haven't allowed sshd to run on port 22 in more than 10 years.

    I use to do that a long time ago, but I ran into issues because of it.
    Can't remember the exact problem. Maybe it was places I went to that did
    not allow outgoing connections to non official ports. Whatever it was,
    it was annoying enough to put sshd back to 22.

    I probably can go back to a non 22 port without much issue. I have added
    a bunch of personal checks to this box that gives a report every day. I
    may add more (from what was posted in this thread already). I also have
    logwatch and rkhunter running, and just added chkrootkit now.

    But moving the ssh port again may be a good idea. But I like stressing
    your net filtering code ;)

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2011-10-01 20:31    [W:0.045 / U:32.536 seconds]