    SubjectRe: taskstats root only breaking iotop
    From
    On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > I think the question should be: why is it *ever* a good idea to let
    > *anybody* read how many bytes anybody has read.

    I use iotop to get the throughput of a cp or tar because I don't
    always think of piping to 'pv'. People also use it as a progress
    indicator for their less verbose applications (total bytes
    read/written instead of rate).

    I see on forums people use it to find which process is hammering their
    disk, though in this case the time spent on I/Os is more useful than
    the throughput and this is not broken by these changes assuming they
    have root.

    > If you want that kind of detail, do "strace". Don't do that abortion
    > that is taskstats.

    strace is not always appropriate: it's invasive as it slows down the
    traced process and it's not aggregating anything.

    > Right now, TASKSTATS is a total and utter disaster.

    I'm not attached to taskstats, I'd be happy to migrate to what comes next.

    > and it's a crazy idea to
    > begin with.

    But it's not clear to me if you dislike just the taskstats
    implementation or the general idea of precise per task I/O stats.

    Thanks for taking the time to explain your reasoning, I'm not trying
    to resurrect taskstats, just checking if I should expect a brighter
    future for iotop.

    --
    Guillaume

      Last update: 2011-10-02 00:45    [W:0.021 / U:31.304 seconds]