SubjectRe: interrupt latency while resuming.
On 01/08/2011 09:13 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 08:58:57AM -0800, Abhijeet Dharmapurikar wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to address an issue of not handling a wakeup interrupt quick
>> enough while resuming. It is an edge triggered interrupt with the
>> IRQ_WAKEUP flag set. The interrupt controller implements lazy disabling
>> of interrupts, IOW does not have a disable callback in the irq_chip.
>>
>> So while going in to supend that interrupt is marked IRQ_DISABLED in
>> dpm_suspend_noirq().
>>
>> On resume handle_edge_trigger is run right after
>> arch_suspend_enable_irqs(). It finds the interrupt marked IRQ_DISABLED
>> and it sets the IRQ_PENDING flag and does not call the handler.
>>
>> As the resume path unrolls, non boot cpus are enabled,
>> dpm_resume_noirq() is run. At that time it finds the IRQ_PENDING flag is
>> set on this interrupt and the interrupt handler is run.

> Another solution is to check whether we can run the handler before other
> CPUs are online - it may mean we're breaking IRQ affinity, but any
> non-boot affinity has already been broken by taking the other CPUs
> offline.

Agree. I think we are breaking affinity anyways by not setting the
interrupt targets to pre disable_nonboot_cpus().

We can say that for interrupts marked IRQF_LOW_SUSPEND_LATENCY we may
not be honoring the affinity. They *will* run on the boot cpu, even if
their affinity is set to others upon resume. Driver authors should
excercise caution wrt to affinity for such interrupts.
For all the other interrupts we can restore the targets to pre
disable_nonboot_cpu state. But this is a different problem.

Do you agree?

I will test the proposal of IRQF_LOW_SUSPEND_LATENCY and push out a
patch soon.

  Last update: 2011-01-08 20:11    [W:0.272 / U:0.140 seconds]